Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Price of a Feather..

Tonight I feel like Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City....and NO....it's not because at the end of the day I am sitting in front of my computer trying to figure out men, or ranting of the hardships of being single in New York City..but because I had the sudden impulse to write about Fashion. Like I LITERALLY woke myself up out of bed because all I could think about was feathers. YES..FEATHERS. And why?? Because..even though I didn't want to..and everything in me told me not to...I went into Urban Outfitters today. I -LOVE-URBAN OUTFITTERS. I love it so much that I never go in..because I want everything. And I will never buy anything because most of the time it is something I could totally make myself...and it is way overpriced..It might not be overpriced for a normal person buying something..it may even seem cheap. But having a bit of back round in fashion..and an affinity for thrift stores..I KNOW that an old mans blue polyester vest, sewn together with a worn in yellow daisy blouse..with a bit of tailoring and ruffles...is not worth paying $68.00 for. I could go to savers and buy the same 2 pieces they used for less than $6.80. So no matter how much I love it hanging there on the rack..I will never buy it. Because I know I'm capable of making the same shirt.. the problem is I never get around to doing the project...so I never get my shirt!!
As I began to leave the store my eye caught a bundle of feathers on the accessory table. I knew it was trouble. I decided to torture myself and look at the jewelry anyways..well because, that's what girls do. I saw the cutest hair pieces I have ever seen. Most of them were tiny little hats with netting hanging down..kind of a throwback to the 40's style:)but they were made to be used as a hair clip, like on the side of your head.... But my favorite were these hair clips that were tiny bundles of Feathers with mini jewels on them. Some were very big bundles that were so over the top..which were just brilliant for nights you want big hair:)and don't lie...all girls want big hair..sometimes:) I thought I would just buy a tiny clip.. so I would leave with something to make me happy. But as I grabbed the tiniest bundle of feathery wonderfulness....I realized this hair clip with literally 3 feathers and 2 jewels on it..was $24.00. That's not even THAT expensive..but come on! I could buy like 10 feather boas and a bag of jewels for that price... And that is exactly what I am going to do. I used to make myself hair accessories almost every day when I was in high school. There is nothing I wouldn't hot glue to a headband or bobby pin. Silk flowers, fruit loops..you name it. It was in my hair. So I decided I am going to give myself one week to make a few hair accessories that will put Urbans accessories to shame. So hold me to it! By next Wed. I will post a few pics of my creations. I could use a jolt in my creativity and wardrobe. Being a mom definitely takes a toll on my fashion..I get so used to sweats and a wet pony tail on top of my head.(My husband is so sweet for putting up with seeing me like this for days on end). So I'm hoping to change all that soon, and letting days like today inspire me to do what I love..and that is to LOVE FASHION..and to simply create...anything!
Bag of feathers: $ 5.00
Case of Jewels: $ 4.25
6 pack of plain metal hair clips $3.75
Small bag of randomhousehold trinkets: $2.50
Having hair accessories that none else does: PRICELESS :)

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Hahahaha..... I too LOVE Urban Outfitters. I am guilty of owning one of those overpriced feather clips. :) I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I just discovered your little blog a few days ago...... I enjoy it, and what a cool idea to post your very first blog in code! Yaayy!!, for taking the plunge and for blogging!!....... Oh and for finding a home that you adore. (^__^)

xx m.

Joy Williams said...

Hey beautiful! :) Back from the cruise, and found you on here blogging. You guys found a NEW place to live??? So exciting! I can't wait to hear about it.

Hey, have you heard about The Sartorialist blog? This man used to work in high end fashion and then got sick of the rat-race. Now he simply travels the world and photographs people with epic style. Thought it might inspire you some more on your quest for creative fashion that won't break the bank. :) A little inspiration goes a long way, no?

http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/