Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oh my girls, how I love thee...

Tonight I had a bit of an empty nest on the homefront...Jason is in Sacramento for a few days with his best bud Walter, and Kyla is having a sleepover at Landons...( because ever 3 year old needs to celebrate with a buddy when they get a new bunkbed..DUHHHH!) So I had myself a girls night..plus Hayden of course...he's always my "plus one". I decided to call it a Cookie Exchange, well, because I thought if I gave it a title it would somehow give people more of a reason to show:) :) Everyone brought 2 dozen cookies, that way when they'd go home, they could have a variety of different kinds..you know... to taunt them in the kitchen for the next few days:) I had a whirlwind of a day leading up to the girls coming over, with a million errands, a wedding concelltation, vacuming, baking cookies, making appetizers, cous cous, and salad...but somehow managed to pull it together. Although a few girls were sick...it was soo wonderful having the few that could come..I realized tonight that I need to have these simple kind of girls nights more often. Life is full of distractions, and schedules, and we all have loved ones:) Girls nights are food for the Soul:) Sitting around my table tonight I realized that I have the most amazing friends ever..hands down. I am so grateful for every moment I get with them. Whether we see eachother every week, or not for 10 months, we never seem to skip a beat. A few things I learned about the group tonight:

1. ME- I am a very messy cook..you can almost guarantee that if I am making things from scratch, I will use more pans and ingredients and utencils, that there is counter space...things will overlap, ingredients will fly....so please enter the kitchen at your own risk....:)
2.) Amanda- She is always so thoughtful..she always offers to come early and help out anyway she can (even with having a newborn to care for)...tonight she came an hour early..brought the coffee I forgot to get, and held Hayden while he ate blueberry waffles off the kitchen floor....Hey, it allowed me to cook! She is always the first to ask how I'm doing, or see when I'm struggling..The sister I never had:)
3.) Danielle- Always goes above and beyond for her friends..tonight she brought enough cookies to feed a small country..which were each frosted differently I might add...and there were like 5 different kinds!!! (thanks for the help Carlos!) Oh, and she brought the sweetest Christmas gifts for my kids....YEAH...it's no wonder they love her to death...she's just a big kid at heart...my little half pint...always the extra mile..I LOVE YOU!!
4.) Betsey-Oh Bets.....She can ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make me laugh. I hadn't seen her in probably 8 months..and didn't think she would come, but I am SO glad she did. I have known Bets since the 6th grade, and she has always had the BEST sense of humor. Its contagious really. Everything is just more funny when Betsey is around, its a sarcastic-nonchalant-ness about her, and the way that she tells everyday stories, that is just incredibly amusing. Wish I could just bottle her up:)
5.) Emily- OH PEMREY. GIRL. Emily is in a word, just SOLID. Not in a "buff way"-well, that too, very much so..( shes our very own Marissa Miller:) but Jason and I always seem to describe her as just "solid". She is probably the most sincere and genuine person you will meet. She just has it together, and is one of those friends who you don't have to ever question about. She's loyal and endeering, and just seems to always be a good balance for me. Why oh why are we separated by HWY 17?? :)

Between Mad Gab, and peppermint hot cocoa..and seeing my little Hayden nuzzle and cuddle with these girls, I decided that girls nite needs a permanent residence on the calender for the new year.... January anyone???

1 comment:

briandem said...

Girl. I love you back and absolutely LOVED that you had a girls night. The girls, the home, the decorations, the baby, the food, etc...everything was perfect! Love you and HATE that we are separated by Highway 17. Wish we could go have coffee together right now...love you!